Monday, September 26, 2016

Wrists: Strength instead of strain!

I had my first full class teaching experience last week and tomorrow I am getting ready for the second session of Hatha yoga (which I've written more about in an earlier post.) Happy to say I am more excited than nervous. This is my thing. Feeling it! This has also been a good opportunity for me to dive back into the basics, to better explain to the students.

In work and our everyday life we put a lot of strain on our wrists. Using computers, pencils, phones and more we're letting the fingers and our whole hands get into a closed almost grabby state. This means when we open up the hands as we do i.e. downward facing dog we may feel strain in the wrists due to the hands not being flexible enough. Since all is connected within the body, if you're not flexible in one place it will be taken out in another area. It may sound like a good thing, but it can get you into a lot of strain or even injury. So let's stay clear of that. 

A point I like to add is that in my family we have a history of wrist pain. Yoga has made it much better for me, but we're all different. If your wrist pain is due to a medical condition always consult your physician first. It's important to listen to your body as well as to challenge and build yourself up. 


Of course I have to recommend a video to help you on your way: Yoga with Adriene got the stuff!  The "Yoga for wrist pain" video is a both fun and great way to work on the wrists so you can enjoy your practise even more. I love her energy and playful take on yoga, but if that's not your style, you crave something else or just want more there are loads online on wrists and yoga.

Stay balanced!

No comments:

Post a Comment